[petsc-users] Tips on integrating MPI ksp petsc into my application?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 21:17:53 CST 2021

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 10:06 PM Faraz Hussain via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Thanks, I took a look at ex10.c in ksp/tutorials . It seems to do as you
> wrote, "it efficiently gets the matrix from the file spread out over all
> the ranks.".
>
> However, in my application I only want rank 0 to read and assemble the
> matrix. I do not want other ranks trying to get the matrix data. The reason
> is the matrix is already in memory when my application is ready to call the
> petsc solver.
>
> So if I am running with multiple ranks, I don't want all ranks assembling
> the matrix.  This would require a total re-write of my application which is
> not possible . I realize this may sounds confusing. If so, I'll see if I
> can create an example that shows the issue.

MPI is distributed memory parallelism. If we want to use multiple ranks,
then parts of the matrix must
be in the different memories of the different processes. If you
already assemble your matrix on process
0, then you need to communicate it to the other processes, perhaps using
MatGetSubmatrix().

  THanks,

    Matt