[petsc-users] DMPlex box mesh periodicity bug (?)

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 15:23:44 CDT 2021

Hi Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to take a look  !

1) Yea ... I know most visualization softwares and most storage formats do
not like periodicity (a.k.a. infinity) ... but fo CFD-research it's a great
tool so we keep trying ... x) The thing that surprised me is that my mwe
works perfectly well in 2D, and not in 3D : that's why I ventured to call
it a bug !

2) Hmm I tried adding a "DMLocalizeCoordinates" after the
"DMPlexConstructGhostCells" but it does not change anything, the result is
still exactly the same as I showed above.

As for your code, it compiles fine and I can execute it as well, thanks !
However ...
1) when I run it in 2D and ask for the HDF5 output, and then run the
petsc_gen_xdmf.py script, I get the attached result (sol_2D.png) : it seems
either Paraview cannot handle what's in the HDF file or the HDF file does
not contain something consistent,
2) when I run it in 3D and ask for the HDF5 output + run petsc_gen_xdmf.py
I can see ... nothing : paraview does not show anything when I try to open
the XDMF file, although it seems syntaxically correct (the HDF file as well)
3) when I run it in 3D and ask for VTU output, I get exactly the same thing
as what I got with my F90 program (see sol_3D.png attached) - my command
line is ./thibault -dm_plex_dim 3 -dm_plex_simplex 0 -dm_plex_box_faces
16,16,16 -dm_plex_box_lower -5,-5,-5 -dm_plex_box_upper 5,5,5
-dm_plex_box_bd periodic,periodic,periodic -dm_plex_create_fv_ghost_cells
-dm_plex_periodic_cut -vec_view vtk:sol.vtu

Does your piece of code yields different results on your end ?

(P.S. I am using the main branch, commit id ae6adb75dd).

Thank you very much for your support !!

Thibault