[petsc-users] SLEPc: non-real singular vectors from SVD of real matrix

Peder Jørgensgaard Olesen pjool at mek.dtu.dk
Thu Apr 29 06:55:00 CDT 2021

Thank you for your advice, Jose.

I tried using a single column of the data matrix as a basis for left singular vector space, and a row for the right one - and lo and behold, all singular vectors become real.

Somehow it did not occur to me that I was I was looking at was simply a complex phase on U and V which would cancel upon computing UΣV*. In other words, rather than an incorrect result it was a slightly inconvenient representation of a correct result.

Best regards

Peder