[petsc-users] Rather different matrix product results on multiple processes

Peder Jørgensgaard Olesen pjool at mek.dtu.dk
Mon Apr 19 07:57:44 CDT 2021

Hello,

When computing a matrix product of the type R = D.DT using MatMatTransposeMult() I find I get rather different results depending on the number of processes. In one example using a data set that is small compared to the application I get Frobenius norms |R| = 1.047e3 on a single process, 1.0363e3 on a single HPC node (40 cores), and 9.7307e2 on two nodes.

I have ascertained that the single process result is indeed the correct one (i.e., eigenvectors of R form a proper basis for the columns of D), so naturally I'd love to be able to reproduce this result across different parallel setups. How might I achieve this?

I'm attaching MWE code and the data set used for the example.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Peder Jørgensgaard Olesen

PhD Student, Turbulence Research Lab