[petsc-users] Nesting splits based on IS

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Sun Apr 18 22:54:20 CDT 2021

  Matt,

   I agree it can be done with DMs, but I am not convinced that is necessarily a superior way when one has to make DMSHELLS and mess around with their behavior.

   One way to look at PCFIELDSPLIT is that its basic splitting tool is IS and DM is a way of generating IS that can be used for PCFIELDSPLIT. In this approach PCFIELDSPLIT needs a bit more support for IS and nesting. To also help using multiple levels of DM.

   The other way is to view DM and subDM as the basic splitting tool for PCFIELDSPLIT but then one has to ask the question how does DM communicate its splits to PCFIELDSPLIT?   I am too lazy to look at the code but presumably with IS, hence the approach above.

   In the traditional Unix software stack approach to code, each layer uses the simpler layer below to communicate; so DM uses IS to communicate to the layer below (the linear algebra and preconditioners).  DM is a hugely complicated layer and making it communicate directly with the vector level is complex; I like having the IS level in between to simplify the software stack and programming model.

   PetscSection makes live more complicated since it is a bit disjoint from IS. I've never resolved in my mind what role PetscSection plays, is it a level above IS in the software stack that generates IS, does it sometimes "skip over" IS to directly talk to linear algebra?

   If you cannot make a cartoon picture of the software stack, with all the objects, then I think the software stack is not well designed or defined. I fear we cannot make such a cartoon currently.

 Barry