[petsc-users] Tough to reproduce petsctablefind error

Junchao Zhang junchao.zhang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 11:03:28 CDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:47 AM Chris Hewson <chris at resfrac.com> wrote:

> After about a month of not having this issue pop up, it has come up again
>
> We have been struggling with a similar PETSc Error for awhile now, the
> error message is as follows:
>
> [7]PETSC ERROR: PetscTableFind() line 132 in
> /home/chewson/petsc-3.13.3/include/petscctable.h key 24443 is greater than
> largest key allowed 23988
>
> It is a particularly nasty bug as it doesn't reproduce itself when
> debugging and doesn't happen all the time with the same inputs either. The
> problem occurs after a long runtime of the code (12-40 hours) and we are
> using a ksp solve with KSPBCGS.

By "when debugging", did you mean when configure petsc --with-debugging=1
COPTFLAGS=-O0 -g etc or when you attached a debugger?

> The PETSc compilation options that are used are:
>
> --download-metis
>     --download-mpich
>     --download-mumps
>     --download-parmetis
>     --download-ptscotch
>     --download-scalapack
>     --download-suitesparse
>     --prefix=/opt/anl/petsc-3.13.3
>     --with-debugging=0
>     --with-mpi=1
>     COPTFLAGS=-O3 -march=haswell -mtune=haswell
>     CXXOPTFLAGS=-O3 -march=haswell -mtune=haswell
>     FOPTFLAGS=-O3 -march=haswell -mtune=haswell
>
> This is being run across 8 processes and is failing consistently on the
> rank 7 process. We also use openmp outside of PETSC and the linear solve
> portion of the code. The rank 0 process is always using compute, during
> this the slave processes use an MPI_Wait call to wait for the collective
> parts of the code to be called again. All PETSC calls are done across all
> of the processes.
>
> We are using mpich version 3.3.2, downloaded with the petsc 3.13.3 package.
>
> At every PETSC call we are checking the error return from the function
> collectively to ensure that no errors have been returned from PETSC.
>
> Some possible causes that I can think of are as follows:
> 1. Memory leak causing a corruption either in our program or in petsc or
> with one of the petsc objects. This seems unlikely as we have checked runs
> with the option -malloc_dump for PETSc and using valgrind.
>
> 2. Optimization flags set for petsc compilation are causing variables that
> go out of scope to be optimized out.
>
> 3. We are giving the wrong number of elements for a process or the value
> is changing during the simulation. This seems unlikely as there is nothing
> overly unique about these simulations and it's not reproducing itself.
>
> 4. An MPI channel or socket error causing an error in the collective
> values for PETSc.
>
> Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

1) Try OpenMPI (probably won't help, but worth trying)
2) Find which part of the simulation makes it non-deterministic. Is it the
mesh partitioning (parmetis)? Then try to make it deterministic.
3) Dump matrices, vectors, etc and see when it fails, you can quickly
reproduce the error by reading in the intermediate data.