[petsc-users] Compute C*Ct using MatCreateTranspose for Ct

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 06:12:06 CDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:48 AM Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:

>> Is there a way to avoid the explicit transposition of the matrix?
>>

> It does not look like we have A*B^T for mpiaij as the error message says.
> I am not finding it in the code.
>
> Note, MatMatMult with a transpose shell matrix, I suspect that it does an
> explicit transpose internally, or it could notice that you have C^T*C and
> we might have that implemented in-place (I doubt it, but it would be legal
> and fine to do).

We definitely have

https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatPtAP.html

For now, you can put the identity in for A. It would be nice it we assumed
that when A = NULL.

Patrick, the implementation strategy is broken for the MatProduct mechanism
that was just introduced, so
we cannot see which things are implemented in the documentation. How would
I go about fixing it?