[petsc-users] Preconditioner for Helmholtz-like problem

Alexey Kozlov Alexey.V.Kozlov.2 at nd.edu
Fri Sep 18 21:36:17 CDT 2020

Dear all,

I am solving a convected wave equation in a frequency domain. This equation
is a 3D Helmholtz equation with added first-order derivatives and mixed
derivatives, and with complex coefficients. The discretized PDE results in
a sparse linear system (about 10^6 equations) which is solved in PETSc. I
am having difficulty with the code convergence at high frequency, skewed
grid, and high Mach number. I suspect it may be due to the preconditioner I
use. I am currently using the ILU preconditioner with the number of fill
levels 2 or 3, and BCGS or GMRES solvers. I suspect the state of the art
has evolved and there are better preconditioners for Helmholtz-like
problems. Could you, please, advise me on a better preconditioner?

Thanks,
Alexey

--
Alexey V. Kozlov

Research Scientist
Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
University of Notre Dame

117 Hessert Center
Notre Dame, IN 46556-5684
Phone: (574) 631-4335