[petsc-users] osx error

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Sep 18 10:42:35 CDT 2020

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> Its probably better to just run a test with gethostbyname()?

  I had hoped to avoid building C code and running it. The Apple manual page for gethostbyname() states: The getaddrinfo(3) and getnameinfo(3) functions are preferred over the gethostbyname(), gethostbyname2(), and
     gethostbyaddr() functions.

  I do not know what MPICH and OpenMPI use.

  On the Mac

> The closest thing I can think off is:
>

> I don't know if 'traceroute' or 'host' commands are universally available.
>

> balay at sb /home/balay
> $ host `hostname`
> sb has address 192.168.0.144

$ host `hostname`
Host Barrys-MacBook-Pro-3.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Also on the Apple `hostname` is associated with multiple addresses and it seems different utilities may use different addresses produced. Some addresses may work, others may not.

 I will make one more MR adding traceroute first and if any of the tests succeed continue. If that fails for users then we will likely need to drop the test.

 I don't like just using a mpiexec -n 2 test because that can fail for so many reasons it is difficult to provide diagnostics to the users.

Barry