[petsc-users] osx error

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Sep 18 08:09:30 CDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:51 AM Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:46 AM Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Oh you did not change my hostname:
>>
>> 07:37 master *= ~/Codes/petsc$ hostname
>> MarksMac-302.local
>> 07:41 master *= ~/Codes/petsc$ ping -c 2 MarksMac-302.local
>> PING marksmac-302.local (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
>> Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
>>
>> --- marksmac-302.local ping statistics ---
>> 2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
>> 07:42 2 master *= ~/Codes/petsc$
>>

> This does not make sense to me. You have
>
>   127.0.0.1 MarksMac-302.local
>
> in /etc/hosts,

09:07  ~/.ssh$ cat /etc/hosts
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
127.0.0.1    MarksMac-5.local
127.0.0.1 243.124.240.10.in-addr.arpa.private.cam.ac.uk
127.0.0.1 MarksMac-302.local
09:07  ~/.ssh$