[petsc-users] [EXT]Re: Is using PETSc appropriate for this problem

Alexander B Prescott alexprescott at email.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:53:48 CDT 2020

Thank you all for your input. Matt is right, I cannot batch as this
formulation must be done sequentially.

>>  Sounds a bit like a non-smoother (Gauss-Seidel type), speculating based
on these few words.

Barry, it is similar to a Gauss-Seidel solver in that solution updates from
previous solves are used in the most recent Newton solve, though I'm not
exactly sure what you mean by "non-smoother".

Best,
Alexander

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 6:06 AM Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> *External Email*

>> converge
>> 8 or
>> >>
>> > The nonlinearity should be pretty similar, the problem setup is the
>> same at
>> > every node but the global domain needs to be traversed in a specific
>> order.
>>

>> It sounds like you may have a Newton solver now for each individual
>> problem?  If so, could you make a histogram of number of iterations
>> necessary to solve?  Does it have a long tail or does every problem take 3
>> and 4 iterations (for example).
>>
>> If there is no long tail, then you can batch.  If there is a long tail,
>> you really want a solver that does one problem at a time, or a more dynamic
>> system that checks which have completed and shrinks the active problem
>> down.  (That complexity has a development and execution time cost.)
>>

> He cannot batch if the solves are sequential, as he says above.
>
>    Matt

> experiments lead.
> -- Norbert Wiener
>
> https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~knepley/

Alexander Prescott
alexprescott at email.arizona.edu
PhD Candidate, The University of Arizona
Department of Geosciences
1040 E. 4th Street
Tucson, AZ, 85721