[petsc-users] Is using PETSc appropriate for this problem

Alexander B Prescott alexprescott at email.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 16 18:09:22 CDT 2020

Hello PETSc listserv,

This is an inquiry about code structure and the appropriateness of using
SNES for a specific problem. I've found PETSc powerful and quite useful for
my other problems, but for this application I'm concerned about
computational overhead. Our setup involves many thousands of independent
calls to the nonlinear solver on small subproblems, i.e. 2<=d.o.f.<=9.
Speed of execution is the primary concern. Now straight to my questions:

   - does it even make sense to use PETSc for a problem like this? Would it
   be like using a nuclear reactor to warm a quesadilla?
   - if it does make sense, is it better to create/destroy the SNES
   structures with each new subproblem, OR to create the structures once and
   modify them every time?

Best,
Alexander

--
Alexander Prescott
alexprescott at email.arizona.edu
PhD Candidate, The University of Arizona
Department of Geosciences
1040 E. 4th Street
Tucson, AZ, 85721