[petsc-users] DMAdaptLabel with triangle mesh

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 01:24:23 CDT 2020

Hi everyone, hi Matt,

Le lun. 31 août 2020 à 22:03, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 4:00 PM Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
> thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Le lun. 31 août 2020 à 20:35, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a
>> écrit :

>>> Triangle.
>>>

>> I thought it was something like that, seeing what addition of code
>> triggers the problem.
>> Thanks for adding the treatment to Triangle !
>>
>>> Regarding the serial character of the technique, I tried with a distributed mesh and it works.

>>> about parallelism. So this must be feeding the local mesh to triangle and
>>> replacing it by
>>> a refined mesh, but the parallel boundaries will not be correct, and
>>> might not even match up.
>>>

>> Ok, yea, it appears to work. When asked to refine from scratch, not from
>> AdaptLabel but with a -dm_refine order, the mesh is funky as if it was
>> entirely re-made and the previous mesh thrown away.
>> Can you think of a way where each processor would be able to call on
>> Triangle on it’s own, with its own piece of mesh and maybe the surrounding
>> ghost cells ? I imagine it could work for parallel refining of triangular
>> meshes, couldn’t it ?
>>

> It turns out that his is a very hairy problem. That is why almost no
> parallel refinement packages exist. To my knowledge, this is only one:
> Pragmatic. We support that package, but
> it is in development, and we really need to update our interface. I am
> working on it, but too much stuff gets in the way.

Oh really, only the one ? Okay okay, I guess I was too optimistic ! I'll
look into Pragmatic even though it is in dev, maybe it'll be enough for
what I wanna do for now.
By the way, talking about things that get in the way, should I open an
issue on the gitlab regarding Triangle not ignoring the ghost cells, would
that be easier for you guys ?

Thanks & have a great day,

Thibault