[petsc-users] new book introducing PETSc for PDEs

Ed Bueler elbueler at alaska.edu
Thu Oct 29 20:28:49 CDT 2020

All --

SIAM Press just published my new book "PETSc for Partial Differential
Equations: Numerical Solutions in C and Python":

  https://my.siam.org/Store/Product/viewproduct/?ProductId=32850137

The book is available both as a paperback and an e-book with working
links.  A SIAM member discount is available, of course.

This book is a genuine introduction which does not assume you have used
PETSc before, and which should make sense even if your differential
equations knowledge is basic.  The prerequisites are a bit of programming
in C and a bit of numerical linear algebra, roughly like the main ideas of
Trefethen and Bau, but even that is reviewed and summarized.  I've made an
effort to introduce discretizations from the beginning, especially finite
differences and elements.

The book is based on a collection of example programs at
https://github.com/bueler/p4pdes.  Most of these codes call PETSc directly
through the C API, but the last two chapters have Python codes using UFL
and Firedrake.  Nonetheless the book contains ideas, mathematical and
computational; it complements, but does not replace, the PETSc User's
Manual and the tutorial examples in the PETSc source.  Concepts are
explained and illustrated, with sufficient context to facilitate further
development. Performance (optimality) and parallel scalability are the
primary goals, so preconditioners including multigrid are central threads,
and run-time solver options are explored in both the text and the exercises.

Here is the place to appreciate the usual PETSc suspects for their comments
on drafts, and help in writing this book: Barry, Jed, Matt, Dave, Rich,
Lois, Patrick, Mark, Satish, David K., and many others.  Also let me say
that SIAM Press has nothing but professionals who are nice to work with
too; send them your book idea!

Ed

--
Ed Bueler