[petsc-users] Python version needed for internal scripts

Nicolas Barral nicolas.barral at math.u-bordeaux.fr
Wed Oct 14 05:00:34 CDT 2020

Hi all,

Apologies if the question has already been asked, but the ML archive
search seems to be broken (or has it never worked ?).

Many petsc scripts require a 'python' executable, which python should
that be ? For now, python3 seems to have worked with the configure
scripts and petsc_gen_xdmf scripts, but can I safely assume it will
always be the case ?

'python' is usually an alias for python2, so making it point at python3
seems a bit dangerous. Yet, python2 was removed from recent Ubuntus and
maybe others, and if I have no python2 installed, and no 'python' alias,
I have to manually edit all the scripts.

Thanks

--
Nicolas