[petsc-users] DMPlexMatSetClosure for non connected points in DM

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:59:11 CDT 2020

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 4:08 PM Ashish Patel <ashish.patel at onscale.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Yes I do create the section myself. There are many faces which are
> constrained by a single reference point. So even if I create an extra dof
> at one of the faces I would have to get access to rows/columns of other
> distant faces which does not exist in the adjacency relationship.

Okay, so these dogs do not obey the FEM sparsity pattern. Is it inherent to
the method, or do you just do this for convenience? It might
be easier to constrain one face at a time, but I would need to understand
more. If you cannot do that, you would also have to override
the sparsity pattern. I can easily give you a hook to do this if you want.