[petsc-users] PetscBagView issues with SAWs

Zane Charles Jakobs Zane.Jakobs at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 23 10:19:47 CST 2020

Hi PETSc devs,

I'm writing a program that needs to send information that I have stored in
a PetscBag to SAWs. I'm calling SAWs_Initialize() (and SAWs_Get_FullURL()),
then PetscViewerSAWsOpen(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,&viewer) to get a PetscViewer,
then later calling PetscBagView(bag,viewer) to publish to SAWs (and then
PetscSAWsBlock() for debugging purposes). For what it's worth, I have
registered all the PetscBag variables, and
PetscBagView(bag,PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD) works as expected.

However, when I go to the SAWs website and click on the "update all
variables from server" or "update server with changes below", nothing
happens. I do know that the app and server can communicate, since clicking
"continue" lets the program continue through a PetscSAWsBlock() call, but
for some reason, the PetscBags I'm View()-ing are not making it over to the
server. Is the workflow I'm using (PetscBagView() after SAWs_Initialize()
and PetscViewerSAWsOpen()) correct? If so, what else might I be doing
incorrectly so that SAWs doesn't see the data I publish? And if not, what
should I do differently? Thank you!

-Zane Jakobs