[petsc-users] make check vs make test

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed May 20 23:08:59 CDT 2020

`make check` has been a synonym for `make test` for several releases,
and we used `make -f gmakefile test` for the comprehensive suite.  We
recently made it so that if you have a sufficiently recent GNU Make, you
can `make test` without the `-f gmakefile` verbosity.  If you want the
simple test, either continue using `make check` or select a small number
of tests using `make test search=snes_tutorials-ex5_1` or whatever.