[petsc-users] DMCreateRestriction with DMDA

zakaryah . zakaryah at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:16:29 CDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I am wondering about how to use PETSc to create a restriction on a
structured mesh. The documentation for DMCreateRestriction says:

For DMDA objects this only works for "uniform refinement", that is the
> refined mesh was obtained DMRefine() or the coarse mesh was obtained by
> DMCoarsen().

If the fine DMDA is dmf, shouldn't I be able to do the following?

DMCoarsen(dmf,comm,&dmc);
> DMCreateRestriction(dmc,dmf,&restriction);

When I try this, I get the error

> [0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
> [0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type
> [0]PETSC ERROR: DM type da does not implement DMCreateRestriction

It seems to me it shouldn't be too hard to get the restriction for a
uniform coarsening, so I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks in advance
for your help!

Cheers, Zak