[petsc-users] Speed of KSPSolve using Matshell vs. regular matrix

Yuyun Yang yyang85 at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 28 20:14:33 CDT 2020

Thanks for the explanations. Yes they are identical if no preconditioner is applied.

A follow-up question on this: in the case of a changing matrix at every time step, it's necessary for my code to destroy and re-assemble the matrix every time, so I was wondering whether the matrix-free method, even though with no preconditioner the KSP convergence is slower, would have any advantage by saving the matrix assembly step? Or the time saved by that is insignificant compared to the slowdown in KSP with a preconditioned matrix?

Thank you,
Yuyun

获取 Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>