[petsc-users] Poor speed up for KSP example 45

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 25 13:04:18 CDT 2020

I would guess that you are saturating the memory bandwidth. After you make
PETSc (make all) it will suggest that you test it (make test) and suggest
that you run streams (make streams).

I see Matt answered but let me add that when you make streams you will seed
the memory rate for 1,2,3, ... NP processes. If your machine is decent you
should see very good speed up at the beginning and then it will start to
saturate. You are seeing about 50% of perfect speedup at 16 process. I
would expect that you will see something similar with streams. Without
knowing your machine, your results look typical.