[petsc-users] node DG with DMPlex

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:00:07 CDT 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 5:20 PM Yann Jobic <yann.jobic at univ-amu.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to implement a nodal DG with the DMPlex interface.
> Therefore, i must add the internal nodes to the DM (GLL nodes), with the
> constrains :
> 1) Add them as solution points, with correct coordinates (and keep the
> good rotational ordering)
> 2) Find the shared nodes at faces in order to compute the fluxes
> 3) For parallel use, so synchronize the ghost node at each time steps

Let me get the fundamentals straight before advising, since I have never
implemented nodal DG.

  1) What is shared?

      We have an implementation of spectral element ordering (
https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/blob/master/src/dm/impls/plex/examples/tutorials/ex6.c).
Those share
      the whole element boundary.

  2) What ghosts do you need?

  3) You want to store real space coordinates for a quadrature?

      We usually define a quadrature on the reference element once.