[petsc-users] OS X Catalina

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 07:34:17 CST 2020

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 7:17 AM Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:

> I updated to OS X Catalina and I get this error. I opened Xcode and in
> updated some stuff and I reinstalled mpich with homebrew. Any ideas?

The -lSystem library is not where it expects.

Running Executable WITHOUT threads to time it out
Executing: /usr/local/Cellar/mpich/3.3.2/bin/mpif90  -o
/var/folders/sw/67cq0mmx43g93vrb5xkf1j7c0000gn/T/petsc-ZdkBf4/config.setCompilers/conftest

 /var/folders/sw/67cq0mmx43g93vrb5xkf1j7c0000gn/T/petsc-ZdkBf4/config.setCompilers/conftest.o

Possible ERROR while running linker: exit code 1
stderr:
ld: library not found for -lSystem
          Error testing Fortran compiler: Cannot compile/link FC with
/usr/local/Cellar/mpich/3.3.2/bin/mpif90.
           MPI installation /usr/local/Cellar/mpich/3.3.2/bin/mpif90 is
likely incorrect.
  Use --with-mpi-dir to indicate an alternate MPI.
            Deleting "FC"

I am guessing the uninstall was not "unny" enough. I have never found
Homebrew an improvement over installing by hand.