[petsc-users] Product of nonsymmetric matrices is symmetric

flw at rzg.mpg.de flw at rzg.mpg.de
Thu Mar 5 06:22:21 CST 2020

Dear PETSc team,
I have a linear system of the form
A*x=b,
where
A=(D-G^T  D  G).
Here, G and D are real NxN matrices, D is diagonal and G is not
symmetric. So far, we are using the matmpiaij format for all of the
given matrices and create A with the help of matmatmult.

  However, as is easy to show, the matrix A itself is symmetric, due
to the sandwich G^T D G. Therefore, we would like to make use of this
fact and use the mpisbaij format fir A instead of mpiaij. Can you tell
me how to set up the matrix A in this fashion? Unfortunately, I
haven't found anything on that in the archive yet.

Best regards,
Felix