[petsc-users] Question about HDF5 Viewer and Datasets

Lucas Banting bantingl at myumanitoba.ca
Tue Jun 23 07:55:52 CDT 2020

Hello,

I am trying to use the HDF5 viewer to store the solution of my system at every iteration.
I am storing the solutions in order to compare two different results, one from an old sequential program and one from a new parallel program that is parallelized using the DMDA structure.
I am using matlab to compare the results.

In the sequential program, the vector for the solution is just a simple one dimensional vector made from VecCreate. In the parallel program, the vector is made from DMCreateGlobalVector.

In both versions of the program, I create the viewer as:

call PetscViewerHDF5Open(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,"filename.hdf5",&
                        FILE_MODE_WRITE,hdf5viewer,ierr)

When I load the files into MATLAB after words, the sequential program creates a new dataset each iteration, while the parallel version using DMCreateGlobalVector only stores a single dataset.
Is there a way I can force both viewers to create a new dataset in the same way each time vecview is called? Or is there someway I can manually create a new dataset?

I am using Open MPI 3.1.4, Petsc 3.12.4, Intel Fortran 2019.5, and hdf5/1.10.5.

Thanks,

Lucas Banting