[petsc-users] Cohesive Element Support

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 05:28:49 CDT 2020

This is how PyLith works: https://github.com/geodynamics/pylith

> 2. Is there support for “joining” two possibly distinct meshes with
> cohesive surface elements? For example say I have two distinct cylinders
> representing fibers which would “touch" to form an X shape.

No, it would have to be coded.

> 3. In a similar vein, is there support for a mesh to fracture entirely
> along a crack formed through the cohesive elements? Imagine the
> aforementioned X configuration separating entirely into two separate
> cylinders again.

No, it would have to be coded.

> 4. Is there a mechanism by which you can classify existing elements as
> cohesive elements?

See 1.

> 5. Is there an already implemented way of imposing tie-constraints between
> independent meshes? This would potentially be used to tie high order
> cohesive cells which would have a non-conforming interface to the “regular”
> mesh.

There is nothing for non-conforming interfaces.

> From googling I have come across DMPlexCreateHybridMesh(),
> DMPlexConstructCohesiveCells(), and DMPlexCreateCohesiveSubmesh(). While
> these do implement cohesive cells  these functions don’t at first glance
> seem to allow one to implement the above.

Having worked with cohesive elements for more than a decade, I would be
cautious about a new code using them for fracture. To me, it appears
that variational fracture codes, like those from Blaise Bourdin and J. J.
Marigo's group have much better geometric flexibility, and Maurini's work on
the solver clears up the hardest part.