[petsc-users] Direct linear solver in Petsc

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Jun 12 18:18:37 CDT 2020

  For the problem sizes you describe with sparse matrices the PETSc built in one is competitive with the external solvers, sometimes faster, it is not worth using the external solvers for such small problems. The external solvers have much more elaborate implements of sparse factorizations and solve but those elaborations are for getting higher performance on large problems.

   For dense matrices PETSc uses the LAPACK solver which does fine at those sizes.

   Barry