[petsc-users] Direct linear solver in Petsc

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Jun 12 12:13:38 CDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 12:56 PM Qin Lu via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I plan to solve a small sparse linear equation system using the direct
> solver, since the number of unknowns is small (less than 1000). Here I got
> a few questions:
>
> 1. Is there a general guide line on the size of the system that direct
> solver is more efficient than iterative solver?

No. Direct solvers are about O(N^2) complexity and iteratives solvers can
be O(N) - O(N^inf)

> 2. Is the native Petsc direct solver (using KSPPREONLY and PCLU) designed
> to solve dense system or sparse system?

sparse.

> 3. Is the native Petsc direct solver comparable to SuperLU and MUMPS in
> performance? Do they use different algorithms?

PETSc's is only in serial and CPU. MUMPS and SuperLU are MPI parallel.
SuperLU runs on GPUs.

SuperLU and MUMPS have more optimizations, such that there is probably a
significant difference on some problems but it's hard to say in general.