[petsc-users] matcreate and assembly issue

Karl Lin karl.linkui at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 10:49:54 CDT 2020

Hi, there

We have written a program using Petsc to solve large sparse matrix system.
It has been working fine for a while. Recently we encountered a problem
when the size of the sparse matrix is larger than 10TB. We used several
hundred nodes and 2200 processes. The program always crashes during
MatAssemblyBegin.Upon a closer look, there seems to be something unusual.
We have a little memory check during loading the matrix to keep track of
rss. The printout of rss in the log shows normal increase up to rank 2160,
i.e., if we load in a portion of matrix that is 1GB, after MatSetValues for
that portion, rss will increase roughly about that number. From rank 2161
onwards, the rss in every rank doesn't increase after matrix loaded. Then
comes MatAssemblyBegin, the program crashed on rank 2160.

Is there a upper limit on the number of processes Petsc can handle? or is
there a upper limit in terms of the size of the matrix petsc can handle?
Thank you very much for any info.

Regards,

Karl