[petsc-users] HDF5 and ParaView

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 01:50:44 CDT 2020

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 15:37, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is true. Do they also get rid of the single mesh and single timstep
> requirements? HDF5+XDMF makes it much easier since
> we can put multiple meshes and timesteps in one file.

Well, I use ParaView's *.pvd files for that, and I dump each timestep to
its own *.vtu file in a folder to pack the files. But you still have a
point, the format is indeed restricting.
Why do you consider it so important to put multiple meshes and timesteps in
one file? It is just that you hate to have so many files scattered around?
Or something deeper?
I do hate the fact that the VTK formats (either legacy or XML) do not allow
you to dump a single mesh to be reused for multiple timestep.

I would probably move out of VTK files in favor of something else if I had
a way to encode VTK's (the library, not the file format) high-order
Lagrange elements.
Actually, I'm toying with dumping files with PETSc's raw binary I/O with
MPI, and writing a proper ParaView plugin in Python to read the data.

--
Lisandro Dalcin