[petsc-users] chowiluviennacl

Mills, Richard Tran rtmills at anl.gov
Mon Jan 20 16:41:40 CST 2020

Hi Xiangdong,

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you want an exact direct solution, so I don't understand why you are using an incomplete factorization solver for this. SuperLU_DIST (as Mark has suggested) or MUMPS are two such packages that provide MPI-parallel sparse LU factorization. If you need GPU support, SuperLU_DIST has such support. I don't know the status of our support for using the GPU capabilities of this, though -- I assume another developer can chime in regarding this.

Note that the ILU provided by "chowiluiennacl" employs a very different algorithm than the standard PCILU in PETSc, and you shouldn't expect to get the same incomplete factorization. The algorithm is described in this paper by Chow and Patel:

https://www.cc.gatech.edu/~echow/pubs/parilu-sisc.pdf

Best regards,
Richard