[petsc-users] Scraping MPI information from PETSc conf

Alexander Lindsay alexlindsay239 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 19:59:49 CST 2020

What's the cleanest way to determine the MPI install used to build PETSc?
We are configuring a an MPI-based C++ library with autotools  that will
eventually be used by libMesh, and we'd like to make sure that this library
(as well as libMesh) uses the same MPI that PETSc used or at worst detect
our own and then error/warn the user if its an MPI that differs from the
one used to build PETc. It seems like the only path info that shows up is
in MPICXX_SHOW, PETSC_EXTERNAL_LIB_BASIC, and PETSC_WITH_EXTERNAL_LIB (I'm
looking in petscvariables). I'm willing to learn the m4/portable shell
built-ins necessary to parse those variables and come out with an mpi-dir,
but before doing that figured I'd ask here and see if I'm missing something
easier.

Alex