[petsc-users] Guidance on using Tao for unconstrained minimization

Dener, Alp adener at anl.gov
Thu Feb 27 09:55:18 CST 2020

Hi Ellen,

It looks like you’re using the old unconstrained CG code. This will be deprecated in the near future in favor of the newer bound-constrained CG algorithm (TAOBNCG) that can also solve unconstrained problems when the user does not specify any bounds on the problem.

The newer TAOBNCG algorithm implements a preconditioner that significantly improves the scaling of the search direction and helps the line search accept the unit step length most of the time. I would recommend making sure that you’re on PETSc version 3.11 or newer, and then switching to this with “-tao_type bncg”. You will not need to change any of your code to do this. If you still fail to converge, please send a new log with the new algorithm and we can evaluate the next steps.

—
Alp Dener
Postdoctoral Researcher
Argonne National Laboratory