[petsc-users] Matrix-free method in PETSc

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 18 21:09:04 CST 2020

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 8:26 AM, Yuyun Yang <yyang85 at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks. Also, when using KSP, would the syntax be KSPSetOperators(ksp,A,A)? Since you mentioned preconditioners are not generally used for matrix-free operators, I wasn’t sure whether I should still put “A” in the Pmat field.
>
> Is it still possible to use TS in conjunction with the matrix-free operator? I’d like to create a simple test case that solves the 1d heat equation implicitly with variable coefficients, but didn’t know how the time stepping can be set up.

   On Feb 15, 2020, at 9:42 PM you asked about "(for example, when doing backward Euler)"

   on Saturday, February 15, 2020 10:02 PM I suggested you start with the example src/ts/examples/tests/ex22.c I outlined how you could change it to be matrix free. The example clearly uses TS

    Now three days later you are asking about how time-stepping can be set up with a matrix-free operator? If you are going to ignore answers we provide to your questions maybe we won't bother answering in the future.