[petsc-users] TSMonitorSolutionVTK

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Feb 13 16:06:26 CST 2020

Sepideh Kavousi <skavou1 at lsu.edu> writes:

> Dear Petsc users,
> I am trying to write VTK output file every few steps. When I was using the petsc 3.7 I used the following lines:
> if (user->ts_write % 500 ==0) {
> ierr= PetscSNPrintf(user->filename,sizeof(user->filename),"one-%03d.vts",user->ts_write);CHKERRQ(ierr);
> ierr= TSMonitorSolutionVTK(user->ts,user->ts_write,t,user->sol_old,&user->filename);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
> user->ts_write+=1;
> }
> and it worked fine, but when I use the same line in Petsc  3.9 and 3.10, using these lines it still outputs the files but when I open them with Visit and try to visualize the individual field component, it does not show them.

Do they not exist or are just unnamed?  I believe we had a couple
regressions with this output style circa 3.10 (side-effect of better
handling vector fields), but I believe it was fixed by 3.11 or certainly
3.12.  Would it be possible for you to upgrade?

Note that you can (and should) pass the format specifier directly, as in:

  TSMonitorSolutionVTK(user->ts,user->ts_write,t,user->sol_old,"one-%03D.vts");

Visit won't care about the numbers not being contiguous.  If you want to
name them manually, just handle the viewer yourself; body of TSMonitorSolutionVTK:

  ierr = PetscSNPrintf(filename,sizeof(filename),(const char*)filenametemplate,step);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = PetscViewerVTKOpen(PetscObjectComm((PetscObject)ts),filename,FILE_MODE_WRITE,&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = VecView(u,viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = PetscViewerDestroy(&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);