[petsc-users] Implementing the Sherman Morisson formula (low rank update) in petsc4py and FEniCS?

Olek Niewiarowski aan2 at princeton.edu
Thu Feb 6 09:02:46 CST 2020

Hi Matt,

What you suggested in your last email was exactly what I did on my very first attempt at the problem, and while it "worked," convergence was not satisfactory due to the Newton step being fixed in step 6. This is the reason I would like to use the linesearch in SNES instead. Indeed in your manual you "recommend most PETSc users work directly with SNES, rather than using PETSc for the linear problem within a nonlinear solver."  Ideally I'd like to create a SNES solver, pass in the functions to evaluate K, F, a, and k, and set up the underlying KSP object as in my first message. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Alexander (Olek) Niewiarowski
PhD Candidate, Civil & Environmental Engineering
Princeton University, 2020