[petsc-users] Files saved with PetscViewerBinaryOpen - Binary file format ?

C B cebau.mail at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:32:18 CST 2020

Hello PETSc community !

I would like to read in another code a matrix / rhs / sol  saved by PETSc.
I am dealing with large matrices and for precision I would like to use the
binary format.

To save a matrix I am using the following lines (please let me know if I
should make any changes), I am using an old version PETSc 2.1.5 for
backward compatibility.

 ierr =
PetscViewerBinaryOpen(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,filename,PETSC_BINARY_CREATE,&petsc_view);CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = VecView(solut,petsc_view);CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = PetscViewerDestroy(petsc_view);CHKERRQ(ierr);

And to save a vector:

ierr = PetscViewerBinaryOpen(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, filename,
PETSC_BINARY_CREATE, &petsc_view);CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = VecView(solut, petsc_view);CHKERRQ(ierr);
ierr = PetscViewerDestroy(petsc_view);CHKERRQ(ierr);

The files are saved without any problems, and now I need to write the code
to read the binary files.
Please, would anyone point me to the format of these binary files and/or a
code snippet to take as an example ?

Thank you very much in advance !
Cheers