[petsc-users] Petsc makefile and PETSC_COMPILE variable

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 15 11:55:46 CST 2020

Its internal organization of some old code.

Previously we had 2 things:

- PETSC_COMPILE (perhaps PETSC_COMPILE_MULTIPLE is a more appropriate name) did something equivalent to 'gcc -c a.c b.c c.c' - i.e compile multiple files at the same time.

- PETSC_COMPILE_SINGLE used was to compile one file at a time. [gcc -c a.c]

Some of the old build infrastructure that uses PETSC_COMPILE is no longer used and removed [ i.e make target 'libfast']

And somehow the remaining *_SINGLE targets had this error [i.e PETSC_COMPILE was used incorrectly instead of PETSC_COMPILE_SINGLE] which got fixed.

Satish