[petsc-users] ARKIMEX produces incorrect values

Ed Bueler elbueler at alaska.edu
Mon Aug 31 19:32:22 CDT 2020

Emil --

When I use PETSc on various tasks, so far, I have separated (1) how
I describe the problem structure for use by the PETSc component, and (2)
the choice of solver.  For TS I am confused about what is expected by the
design you describe.  I would like to describe my ODE system as clearly as
possible and *then* go out and try/choose solver types.

My understanding is that if I have a problem which can be written in the
form F(t,u,u') = G(t,u), and if I do not want to pre-emptively restrict to
*not* allowing IMEX, then I should put F into an IFunction and G into a
RHSFunction.  This is a *good* split, performance-wise, if in fact F
contains the stiff part, but whether good or bad I have described the ODE
system.

Any fully-implicit method should now be able to handle this form F(t,u,u')
= G(t,u), because for implicit methods there is no real distinction between
F(t,u,u')=0  and F(t,u,u')=G(t,u).  If an IMEX method is completely
flexible, and so far ROSW seems to be flexible in this way (?), then I
think it should also work with either form.

If an IMEX method is restricted further by form, e.g. requiring dF/d(u') to
be the identity, then wouldn't it make sense to have the user
programmatically indicate that structural property?  Such an indication is
not about the desired solver but about the ODE.  If the structural property
held then we could proceed with the restricted-application method, e.g.
ARKIMEX/EIMEX.

Perhaps one could have  this (proposed) functionality:

TSSetLHSHasIdentity(TS,PETSC_TRUE)

Or one might instead set an enumerate for whether dF/d(u') is I or M
(invertible) or M (noninvertible for DAE) or a general nonlinear function:

TSSetLHSStructureType(TS,TS_LHS_STRUCTURE_IDENTITY)
TSSetLHSStructureType(TS,TS_LHS_STRUCTURE_INVERTIBLE)
TSSetLHSStructureType(TS,TS_LHS_STRUCTURE_NONINVERTIBLE)
TSSetLHSStructureType(TS,TS_LHS_STRUCTURE_NONLINEAR)

Obviously the enumerate would only need to include structure which some
method could exploit.

What do you think?

In any case, I am currently having trouble with the preferred way to
describe e.g. diffusion-reaction PDEs.  It seems to me I would want to
supply all four of these
IFunction
IJacobian
RHSFunction
RHSJacobian
so as to allow full-performance for both fully-implicit methods and IMEX
methods.  (And for typical examples I certainly *can* form RHSJacobian, for
example.)  But none of the src/ts/tutorials/ examples seem to
unconditionally supply all four, and I can't tell (e.g. from -ts_view)
which parts are seen and called by the various methods.

Ed