[petsc-users] [Ext] change matrix

Kun Jiao KJiao at slb.com
Mon Aug 31 14:36:37 CDT 2020

thanks for the info.

regards,
kun

On Aug 31, 2020 2:20 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:12 PM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev<mailto:bsmith at petsc.dev>> wrote:
On Aug 31, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Kun Jiao <KJiao at slb.com<mailto:KJiao at slb.com>> wrote:

If I am correct, to do this, it will double the peak memory usage.

  Yes

Is there any way no to double the peak memory usage?

  The only way would be to destroy the old matrix, allocate a new one and recompute the entries.

  Barry

  Depending on the application etc the extra memory for storing two copies of the matrix may not be a fundamental problem

The other thing is to look at why you are adding rows. If you know how many will eventually show up you can allocate them, but fill
with zeros, etc. until you get the values.

Schlumberger-Private