[petsc-users] DMAdaptLabel with triangle mesh

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 04:32:50 CDT 2020

Dear all,

I have recently been playing around with the AMR capabilities embedded in
PETSc for quad meshes using p4est. Based on the TS tutorial ex11, I was
able to incorporate the AMR into a pre-existing code with different metrics
for the adaptation process.
Now I would like to do something similar using tri meshes. I read that
compiling PETSc with Triangle (in 2D and Tetgen for 3D) gives access to
refinement and coarsening capabilities on triangular meshes.When I try to
execute the code with a triangular mesh (that i manipulate as a DMPLEX), it
yields "Triangle 1700 has an invalid vertex index" when trying to adapt the
mesh (the initial mesh indeed has 1700 cells). From what i could tell, it
comes from the reconstruct method called by the triangulate method of
triangle.c, the latter being called by either *DMPlexGenerate_Triangle *or
*DMPlexRefine_Triangle *in PETSc, I cannot be sure.

In substance, the code is the same as in ex11.c and the crash occurs in the
first adaptation pass, i.e. an equivalent in ex11 is that it crashes after
the SetInitialCondition in the first if (useAMR) located line 1835 when it
calls adaptToleranceFVM (which I copied basically so the code is the same).

Is the automatic mesh refinement feature on tri meshes supposed to work or
am I trying something that has not been completed yet ?

Thank you very much for your help, as always.

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu
—
Eng, MSc, PhD
Research Engineer