[petsc-users] ParMETIS vs. CHACO when no partitioning is made

Eda Oktay eda.oktay at metu.edu.tr
Fri Aug 14 08:53:53 CDT 2020

Hi all,

I am trying to try something. I am using the same MatPartitioning codes for
both CHACO and ParMETIS:

ierr = MatConvert(SymmA,MATMPIADJ,MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX,&AL);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatPartitioningCreate(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&part);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatPartitioningSetAdjacency(part,AL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

  ierr = MatPartitioningSetFromOptions(part);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatPartitioningApply(part,&partitioning);CHKERRQ(ierr);

After obtaining the IS, I apply this to my original nonsymmetric matrix and
try to get an approximate edge cut.

Except for 1 partitioning, my program completely works for 2,4 and 16
partitionings. However, for 1, ParMETIS gives results where CHACO I guess
doesn't since I am getting errors about the index set.

What is the difference between CHACO and ParMETIS that one works for 1
partitioning and one doesn't?

Thanks!

Eda