[petsc-users] Best practices for solving Dense Linear systems

Nidish nb25 at rice.edu
Thu Aug 6 19:32:59 CDT 2020

I'm relatively new to PETSc, and my applications involve (for the most
part) dense matrix solves.

I read in the documentation that this is an area PETSc does not
specialize in but instead recommends external libraries such as
Elemental. I'm wondering if there are any "best" practices in this
regard. Some questions I'd like answered are:

1. Can I just declare my dense matrix as a sparse one and fill the whole
matrix up? Do any of the others go this route? What're possible
pitfalls/unfavorable outcomes for this? I understand the memory overhead
probably shoots up.
2. Are there any specific guidelines on when I can expect elemental to
perform better in parallel than in serial?

Of course, I'm interesting in any other details that may be important in
this regard.

Thank you,
Nidish