[petsc-users] Test convergence with non linear preconditioners

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 14:17:16 CDT 2020

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:59 PM Adolfo Rodriguez <adantra at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use non-linear preconditioners in a very similar way shown
> in the paper "Composing scalable nonlinear solvers" by Peter Brune and
> others.
>
> My question is simple, actually. I have provided a test convergence
> function, but it seems that the inner method does not take it into account
> and follows the default convergence criteria. Is there a way to specify a
> convergence function to the inner method?
>
> Appreciate any hints on this.

This is a good question. Currently, we do not have an alternative to just
pulling out the inner solver and setting it directly. I don't
think the right thing is to have inner solvers follow outer solvers since
frequently they have much different convergence requirements.
Maybe we could provide a function name in an options and have it looked up
dynamically.

What do people think about that?