[petsc-users] Converting complex PDE to real for KNL performance ?

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 14 14:50:44 CDT 2020

First, you need to order your equations (r_0, i_0, r_1, i_1, ...) and then
set a block size of two (times the real block size of your equations) in
the matrix, for GAMG to work. PETSc can do this for you with fieldsplit.

The symmetric stuff that GAMG requaries is just for the (parallel) graph
coarsening and you just need to add a parameter where GAMG will symmetrize
the graph used for coarsening, not your real matrix. Or you can use a zero
threshold.

Chebyshev is the default smoother in GAMG. Chebyshev is not well suited to
asymmetric matrices. You need to use the right form, which you seem to have
a handle on, and if the asymmetry is not too bad cheby might work.
Otherwise, I would use gmres or richardson/jacobi with a proper damping
parameter. If you use gmres you want to use fgmres as the outer solver.

Good luck, this is a tricky business,
Mark