[petsc-users] [EXT]Re: Discontinuities in the Jacobian matrix for nonlinear problem

Alexander B Prescott alexprescott at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 6 20:43:42 CDT 2020

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. For the 1D toy version I force flow to
occur at every node, but my ultimate objective is to apply this to a 2D
floodplain in which a node may or may not have flow in the 'true' solution.
Based on what you point out, however, it seems that this approach may be
doomed to fail. For one thing, using a 5 point stencil, a node with no flow
and whose neighbor's have no flow will produce a row in the 'bent physics'
Jacobian of all zero entries. Based on my experience so far that will cause
PETSc to return errors. Does that sound right to you?

I agree that the difficulty encountered with this sort of problem is
counterintuitive to the relative simplification made on nature!

Best,
Alexander

--
Alexander Prescott