[petsc-users] deactivating x11 in PETSc 3.13.0 with pastix/hwloc

Alfredo Jaramillo ajaramillopalma at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:53:57 CDT 2020

hello everyone,

I have a fresh installation of the 3.13.0 version with pastix. Like with
previous versions, I'm using the options

--with-x11=0 --with-x=0 --with-windows-graphics=0

to disable X11

however, when compiling my program foo and doing

$ ldd foo

between the linked libraries there appear:
libXNVCtrl.so.0 and libX11.so.6

the first one related to NVIDIA. I observed that this does not happen when
installing PETSc without hwloc. In this new version, PETSc requires to
install hwloc when trying to install pastix. In previous versions of PETSc
(eg 3.11.2) that wasn't necessary.

I'm working in a cluster where I have no access to these X11-related
libraries and that's why I need them not be linked. Is it there some way to
disable X11 when installing hwloc? maybe enforcing some configuration
variables when installing it through petsc or installing it independently?

thanks a lot!

Below the configuration command of the two installations I've tried with
the 3.13.0 version.

=================== WITH PASTIX ===================

./configure --with-make-np=20
--with-petsc-arch=x64go-3.13-openmpi-4.0.1-pastix-64 --with-debugging=0
--doCleanup=0 \
--with-mpi=1 \
--with-valgrind=1 --with-valgrind-dir=$PATH_TO_VALGRIND/valgrind-3.15.0 \
--download-scalapack \
--download-openblas \
--download-mumps \
--download-superlu_dist \
--download-metis \
--download-parmetis \
--download-ptscotch \
--download-hypre \

*--download-pastix \--download-hwloc \*
--with-64-bit-indices=1 \
LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS CPPFLAGS=$CPPFLAGS \
--with-cxx-dialect=C++11 \
--with-x11=0 --with-x=0 --with-windows-graphics=0 \
COPTFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -mtune=native" \
CXXOPTFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -mtune=native" \
FOPTFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -mtune=native"

the same as above but the options "--download-pastix --download-hwloc"