[petsc-users] Clarification of INSERT_VALUES for vec with ghost nodes

Zhang, Junchao jczhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 26 11:02:50 CDT 2019

With VecGhostUpdateBegin(v, INSERT_VALUES, SCATTER_REVERSE), the owner will get updated by ghost values. So in your case 1, proc0 gets either value1 or value2 from proc1/2;  in case 2; proc0 gets either value0 or value2 from proc1/2.
In short, you could not achieve your goal with INSERT_VALUES. Though you can do it with other interfaces in PETSc, e.g., PetscSFReduceBegin/End, I believe it is better to extend VecGhostUpdate to support MAX/MIN_VALUES, because it is a simpler interface for you and it is very easy to add.

Could you try branch jczhang/feature-vscat-min-values to see if it works for you?  See the end of src/vec/vec/examples/tutorials/ex9.c for an example of the new functionality. Use mpirun -n 2 ./ex9 -minvalues to test it and its expected output is output/ex9_2.out
Petsc will have a new release this weekend. Let's see whether I can put it in the new release.

Thanks.
--Junchao Zhang