[petsc-users] DMPlex cell number containing a point in space

Swarnava Ghosh swarnava89 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 19:45:44 CDT 2019

Hi Matt,

I am trying to get this working. However, It seems that this does not work
for 3D. I have tets as elements, and the dmplex is serial. I get the
following error:

0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type
[0]PETSC ERROR: I have only coded this for 2D
[0]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html for
trouble shooting.

Is there a work around to this? would you please let me know?

Also here is my code

 PetscSF cellSF=NULL;
  Vec v;
  PetscErrorCode ierr;

// create v;
  VecCreate(PETSC_COMM_SELF,&v);
  VecSetSizes(v,PETSC_DECIDE,3);
   VecSetBlockSize(v,3);
  VecSetFromOptions(v);

  VecSetValue(v,0,0.0,INSERT_VALUES);
  VecSetValue(v,1,0.1,INSERT_VALUES);
  VecSetValue(v,2,0.12,INSERT_VALUES);

  VecAssemblyBegin(v);
  VecAssemblyEnd(v);

  PetscInt bs;
  VecGetBlockSize(v,&bs);

  printf("Block size of v=%d \n",bs);

    ierr=DMLocatePoints(pCgdft->dmatom,v,DM_POINTLOCATION_NEAREST,&cellSF);

  // print vector
  VecView(v,PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_SELF);

Sincerely,
SG