[petsc-users] TS scheme with different DAs

Manuel Valera mvalera-w at sdsu.edu
Tue Sep 17 17:13:46 CDT 2019

Hello, petsc users,

I have integrated the TS routines in my code, but i just noticed i didn't
do it optimally. I was using 3 different TS objects to integrate
velocities, temperature and salinity, and it works but only for small DTs.
I suspect the intermediate Runge-Kutta states are unphased and this creates
the discrepancy for broader time steps, so I need to integrate the 3
quantities in the same routine.

I tried to do this by using a 5 DOF distributed array for the RHS, where I
store the velocities in the first 3 and then Temperature and Salinity in
the rest. The problem is that I use a staggered grid and T,S are located in
a different DA layout than the velocities. This is creating problems for me
since I can't find a way to communicate the information from the result of
the TS integration back to the respective DAs of each variable.

Is there a way to communicate across DAs? or can you suggest an alternative
solution to this problem?